ASN Publications and Past ASN Conference Papers
USCET publishes select papers from ASN conferences every two years, funds permitting. Take a look below at our current publications. USCET is also featuring a collection of past papers from our 2006 and 2010 ASN Annual Conferences. Below are links to essay abstracts and the full paper.
Published January 2016: The Power of Culture: Encounters Between China and the United States, edited by Priscilla Roberts (The University of Hong Kong)
The fourth volume in the ASN conference publication series, The Power of Culture is a volume of select essays based on papers presented at the tenth ASN conference in Hong Kong and the eleventh ASN conference at Zhejiang Univeristy in Hangzhou, in 2014. USCET and ASN partners officially launched the book during the 2016 American Studies Network Weekend at the Beijing Foreign Studies University. It consists of thirty-one chapters related to US-China relations and American Studies.
To purchase a copy at a 40% discounted rate, go here and use the code code “authordiscount40%“.
For a full PDF copy of The Power of Culture, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and relevant affiliation or institution.
Published Summer 2014: Going Soft? The U.S. and China Go Global, edited by Priscilla Roberts (The University of Hong Kong)
This publication is a volume of select essays by contributors to the 2011 ASN Conference (“US Soft Power and Social Equality”) and the 2012 ASN Conference (“America: 2012 Elections and Beyond”). For a preface of the book and a chapter list of contributors and their papers, please click here.
For a full PDF copy of Going Soft?, email us at email@example.com and include your full name and relevant affiliation or institution.
Published 2011: China Views Nine-Eleven: Essays in Transnational American Studies, edited by Priscilla Roberts (The University of Hong Kong), Mei Renyi (Beijing Foreign Studies University), and Yan Xunhua
This publication is a volume of select essays by contributors to the 2007 ASN Conference (“The US After September 11: Changes and Continuities”).
Published 2007: Bridging the Sino-American Divide: American Studies with Chinese Characteristics, edited by Priscilla Roberts (The University of Hong Kong)
This publication is a volume of select essays by contributors to the 2006 ASN Conference (“Bridging the Sino-American Divide”). Some of those papers are below. For more information on this publication, click here.
Collection of Past Papers
2006 ASN Conference: Bridging the Sino-American Divide
1. “Briding the Sino-American Divide: China’s Peaceful Rise and Sino-American Relationship“, By Zhuang Jianzhong, Shanghai Jiaotong University
2. “McDonald’s Democracy – A Cultural Perspective”, By Wang, Qing-jiang & Zhang Yi-jun, Faculty of Arts, Kunming University of Science and Technology
3. “U.S.-China Trade Relations in the 1970s and Hong Kong’s Role,” By Mei Renyi & Chen Juebin, Beijing Foreign Studies University
4. “Localizing the Global: Shifting Centers,” By Wang Jianping, Institute of American Studies, Northeastern University
5. “American Studies in China: A Case Study of the Center for American Studies, Fudan University,” By Sun Zhe, Professor and Deputy Director, Fudan University
2010 ASN Conference: “The US in Crisis: Financial or Cultural?”
1. “The Financial Crisis and its Impact on Latino Americans,” By Hu Wenhan, PLA Luoyang University of Foreign Languages
2. “Michelle Obama has Not and is Not Going to Flout the White Standard of Beauty,” By Zen Liwen, Beijing Foreign Studies University
3. “American Mulan: Powerful and Powerless,” By Zhao Gengcheng, Beijing Foreign Studies University